Monday, August 13, 2012

Peeping!

Oh, oh!  So exciting!

This morning I went out and lifted Crystal to the side... and one of the eggs had a little peep hole in it!  I went back to check on her an hour later, and the eggs were rotated and nothing new had happened.  So I read up on things....

And found out that after the air hole is pecked, the chick rests for 8 hours.  This helps it get used to breathing the outside air, I guess?  And then the baby turns a full circle inside the egg, pecking as she goes until the top comes off.

So this afternoon, I went out and lifted up Crystal again, and the baby is peeping!  It's still in the shell, but it's making noise!  I so BADLY want to supervise this, and make sure the baby makes it out okay.  I read about people helping babies out of their shells and the babies being fine.  But I'll just leave things alone and regret it later if the chick dies.  =)

But I am very, very happy that things seem to be progressing for Crystal!  And I would have a picture, but it's very hard for me to crouch down and peer into the coop, let alone with a camera.  I can't lift her up and snap a pix at the same time. =(  But I'll take pictures when the baby is running around!

Oh, happy day!

Ps:  I've done a little painting, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment