Saturday, December 10, 2011

When I Grow Up To Be Normal

The other day, I was telling Aidan how grown up he is getting!

I asked him what he was going to be when he grew up, maybe a fireman or a cowboy?

"Nah," he said.  "Just a normal person."

But maybe he'd like to be an astronaut!  Or perhaps fly airplanes?

"No, Mom," he said.  "I'm just going to be a normal person."


Later in the day, he happened to have a similar conversation with his Papa.  When Shane asked him what he was going to be, he replied:

"I'm just going to be a normal man."


His total lack of enthusiasm was crazy!  Once again, it would be so interesting to dive inside the mind of a child.  I hypothesize that he might mean he wants to be like Shane, who is "normal" to Aidan.  He'll play Starfall on the computer and tell me he's "working at the computer, like Papa".  He's mentioned on several occasions how he's going to grow up and work in his closet like Papa does.  (Shane has no office in this house, so his walk-in closet is his office here.)  So perhaps Aidan's idea of what a "normal man" does is to sit in his closet with his computer and "work".

Poor child, he needs a healthier view!

6 comments:

  1. It's so amazing that whatever they experience is their idea of normal. EEK! Reminds me of last night... Someone asked Ryker if I could do something, and he said - no, she just makes supper. Thanks, son! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haaaa! That is too funny! It's also interesting how they don't see their comments as derogatory or that the implications say that mom is boring with few talents. Things are just the way they are!

    My mom is taking Karate with my younger bro and sis. It's pretty fun to see her breaking out of her Mom role a little, and yet at the same time she's totally being involved with the kids. Kinda cool! =)

    Well, Ryker will appreciate more the wide talents of his mommy in the future, I'm sure! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One hermit Stafford, coming right up! How hilarious AND sweet. I think his Papa is one of the healthiest people he could aspire to be. I know you think so too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love it when you tell us what your kids say. They are so funny and cute. I still remember Aidan calling me "big, fat, grandma" and Julia telling me, so innocently a couple years ago, "Grandma, your hair is TOO white!" You just have to laugh when it comes out of the mouth of a child, knowing it is purely innocent :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, it could be worse, right? He could want to be a stunt man or something dangerous like that:) CRACKS ME UP!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kyle has finally shifted away from wanting to be a rock star... New aspiration, you ask? Why yes! He is going to "just be a dad who works every day"! I was really trying to go for the moon with this kid, but his dad's pragmatism sticks.

    ReplyDelete