Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Crocheting For The First Time

My kiddos expressed an interest in making things with yarn.

So for Julia's birthday I got her a couple crochet hooks and a couple balls of very darling yarn.


I figured that one stick to wield would be easier than two, although I don't know how to crochet myself, and I've forgotten how to knit.

Enter some You-tube videos of the granny square and off we went on a loooooong car trip.

So I had all this time on my hands and could NOT remember how to do a granny square!  So I just tried out some stuff and decided to make a hat for Julia's new Bitty Baby (which she calls Bitsy Doll).  Turns out, I did a chain stitch the entire hat, also known as a slip stitch according to the simple instruction booklet I got later.  But it looks cool!  =)
Hat 1

Once we got to our destination, help was on hand for some further instruction.  It was quite dizzying, all the different things that can be done with one hook and some yarn.  So on the way home, I put my vastly improved skills to work on a second hat for Julia's doll.  Somehow, I was in the mood for hats.  And I still am, but haven't made one for a real person yet.  =)
Hat 2

This second hat has a variety of stitches as I tried out some different things.  I tried single crochet and double crochet stitches and then some "shells"???  or whatever those pieces of granny squares are called.  And back to the slip stitch from time to time so I could enjoy it's own special little mark.  It was very cool, and I think Bitty Baby is happier because of my efforts.  Thank-you, Lindsi! =)




Did you notice how this went from "kiddos" and "Julia" to "I" and "me"?
My excuse:
I can't teach them until I learn it myself!  =)
However, Lucas and Julia have both made several bracelets, necklaces and funky hair pieces with a simple chain stitch for practice, so I haven't left them out completely.

6 comments:

  1. WOW! I can't seem to make anything recognizable with yarn - crocheted or knitted! Those hats are darling :) YAY for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! Very impressed with your skills. I, like Jennifer, have a very, very difficult time making anything cute with yarn. But I love it so much. It is a tough, tough problem to have:) Good job. What's next? Booties?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, gals! I would LOOOOOVE to make booties! Calysta grounded me though. I had visions of cute little Mary Jane's and such and she reminded me that boots with ties, like what our grandmother makes for all our new babies, actually stay on the foot.

    So maybe it will have to be Mary Jane boots! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes!! You could so do Mary Jane boots. Like those baby socks you gave me that were Mary Janes. Just change the color of the yarn! :D Surely there are patterns out there.

    Your foray into this is making me think I should try it to. I finally found something I would actually want to make -- a house! For my massive ledge above the front door.
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/86190409/knitting-pattern-red-roof-croft-house?ref=pr_faveitems

    Anyway, adorable hats! I'm completely impressed that you just made a hat without really remembering the right stitch, etc. Truly amazing. And Bitty looks so warm. (What did she name Bitty?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So Bitty Baby is what the AG store calls this doll. Julia has been remembering it as "Bitsy Doll" and named her doll just that: Bitsy Doll.

    Now, I'm off to check your link!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw! "Bitsy" is SO cute!! It's ringing bells from our childhood -- a character in a book perhaps? Hmm...

    ReplyDelete