Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Looth Tooth!

As you may remember, I've been worried a bit about Lucas and his funky new tooth. But yesterday, as he was trying hard to focus on a short story so he could give me the main ideas, he pulled out his old tooth!

It was wonderful, really. This kid doesn't do so good with pain and door knobs and pliers would only serve to send him into drama overdrive. I had been worried about the tooth hanging by a stubborn thread and Lucas running around hyperventilating about how he can't eat or talk and not letting anyone near him to end his suffering. So we've been taking it easy, with the result that he'd let us feel and wiggle his loose tooth anytime. He learned about tooth roots and began informing me that he could hear them popping when he'd pull his tooth extra hard. So all by himself he pulled out his teeny, tiny, itty-bitty tooth. For an instant, I felt like there's always something to derail our school time. But I got over it and joined in the celebration, never fear!

Hypothesis began; would the tooth fairy know when to come? How would the tooth fairy know his wish? What would the tooth fairy do with his tooth? Was the tooth fairy big enough to even lift his tooth?
I assured him that the tooth fairy had been taking children's teeth for many, many years and was a pro. I did ask him if he thought he'd get a big, hairy fairy, though. He hoped not. We looked in our big book of fairies, but alas, we only have flower fairies in that book, no tooth fairies. And so my son, big announcer that Santa is not real, believes in the tooth fairy. This came as a surprise to me, I was sure he'd be skeptical and wary. But I just went along with his questions. Later, I talked to hubby about it. Shane told me I should tell him the truth, so I stepped aside and told him he was welcome to enlighten Lucas. (Lucas was in bed, with tooth safely ensconced in his tooth pillow). Somehow, Papa just didn't have the heart. =)
When Lucas first lost the tooth, we put it in his pillow and then he wrote his wish down on a piece of paper and folded it in the pillow with his tooth. So that made it easier for Mom to grant. And so we are off to Diary Queen to fulfill this wish, since it's rather messy to put ice cream under someone's pillow!

After discussion with Shane, it was decided that the kids can get something at DQ for their first tooth, then we can give them a dollar for each tooth following. They can spend it on a cone at McD's or whatever. Shane was sure we'd go bankrupt if we did DQ for every tooth of every child.

This morning Julia announced that she will be wishing for a pony when she loses her first tooth.
And Shane thought DQ was worrisome!

5 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhhhhhhh the drama that ensues in your house!! Wait... why do I make fun? Drama is rampant in mine too! I love that he believes!! I also like your idea about writing the wish down. I'm not sure if you already told me that, because I was thinking "She should have them write it down and put it in the pillow" just before I got to that part in your post. :D

    I had more to say... but lost it due to drama in my house. :D
    So funny! And I'll have to read the dress post later!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melita, you are so funny :) I do enjoy your posts. Wow... a whole dollar... inflation! Our kids used to get a quarter. Lucas looks cute with the little hole in his mouth :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that reminds me of Natalia and Santa...she simply refuses to not to believe that santa is real...even her sisters tried to convince her that he is not but she insists on beliving in him...oh well...she does have a great imagination and she is growing up too fast anyway so we just let her figure it out on her own... i like your blog by the way and i will be visiting it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ethan has reached the age where he pulls out the tooth, tosses it in the trash, and holds out his hand to me and says, "You owe me a dollar." Sigh.

    Love the blog. You're doing a beautiful job on it! Maybe I will have to start one. . .

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh so cute. Yes, I believe an ice cream cone is the least of Shane's worries from this point forward:) You're so funny. Keep them coming:)

    ReplyDelete