Friday, December 10, 2010

Vandals and Cabbage

Today, after much discussion with Shane, a conclusion was reached: Julia deals with her stress by vandalizing.
This morning, Julia took a pencil and colored in the grout on our tiled bar. There was graphite dust everywhere, and all over her fingers! So she got her consequences which included cleaning up her mess. Then she purposely broke one of her brothers' toys. When she was discovered by her brother, she flapped her hands and made baby sounds, namely "aaaaaa!". These are familiar, but frustrating symptoms that she needs more attention. At naptime, Shane and I sat down with her and in the process of the visit, she revealed that she doesn't feel special inside. Luckily an opportunity came shortly after that when she showed me a lego bunny she had made. She thought it was special and I pointed out that God thinks she is special and He made her, too! (I also pointed out who else thinks she is special and why) Then we did a little practicing. I pretended to be busy (I talked on the phone) and she came over and told me she felt lonely and would like me to play with her.
Parenting is not for slouches! Seems like we should have to pass a test or something in order to get pregnant at all! A little neglect, a little lack of attention and Julia will have our house around our ears in no time! Although, to be fair, her brothers have almost finished chewing up their bunk beds. So she doesn't have to worry about that!

On another note, one of Julia's favorite veggies is cabbage, but I am rather particular about how cabbage is prepared. Boiled or steamed cabbage gets old, and no one eats the leftovers. In my Whole Living mag, I ran across a recipe that appealed to me on the spot. Fresh, tasty and leftover worthy! I haven't cared much for slaw in the past, but this almost doesn't qualify.

Apple Slaw
Serves 4

2 T. olive oil
2 t. fresh lemon juice
1/2 t. finely grated, peeled ginger root
1/2 t. kosher salt
5 c. finely shredded red (green, purple) cabbage
1 apple, peeled and julienned
1/4 c. chopped chives

Wisk together olive oil, lemon juice, ginger and kosher salt(or put them in your measure, mix and pour). Add cabbage, apple, and chives. Toss to combine. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 8 hours until ready to serve.

I have tried all colors of cabbage, to good effect. Also sea salt and dried chives. And it stores just great for several days, I can at least speak for three. =) I have gotten a little liberal with the lemon juice and added more than it said, and I liked it even better! The fresh ginger root seems to make this dish, I haven't tried it with powdered ginger.

And no pictures! Either of vandalism or cabbage, I'm so sorry to say. =)
ciao!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the slaw recipe, Melita. I thought of it today when I was at the fruit stand, and enjoyed it at your house. We think Julia's pretty special too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree- this has been on my mind lately, as well. Parenting is so much more difficult than I imagined. I guess I always expected it to be emotionally difficult but its more than that, isn't it? Anyway, I enjoy reading your challenges and how you deal with them. Its like I'm studying for tests to come. Sam is a walking fool these days and I'm adjusting to it. Just when you get used to something, it changes:) Anyway, the slaw looks yummy. I wonder if I could get my boys to eat it....

    ReplyDelete
  3. The slaw was amazing! I can't believe I haven't made it yet! I have no excuse since I get Whole Living AND you posted the recipe. Speaking of recipes out of magazines - there's a caramel chew recipe in BHG that I'm going to try for stocking stuffers.

    On the subject of how hard parenting is, I've recently been considering the benefits of having only two kids for various reasons. First of all, someone from around here who is pregnant asked if we would want to babysit full-time since she'll have to work. Sadly, we won't be around, but then when I thought about it, I'm not sure I'd be up for that full-time. I mean, I'm completely FREAKED of getting pregnant any time soon since I'm so overwhelmed by the duties I already have. Anyway, I feel like the reasons I want only two kids are kind of materialistic. The things we can give them, the trips we can take with them, our independence that will come sooner... But even if those reasons are selfish, that itself isn't a good reason to just have another child. So to Mike's pride and joy, I'm leaning toward his number.

    And apparently I decided to have my own post on your site! Love the topics you bring to the table!
    Love,
    Calysta

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, since my comment, I did make the slaw. Again, SO yummy. And I think it's even better left over (by at least 6 hours or so) because it has time to get really flavorful. I had a medium container of it left over and I kept dishing little bits of it up... until I just scarfed it all down. I think I'll make a little more for lunch today. :D

    ReplyDelete