Thursday, December 2, 2010

Julia turns 5!

Once more, a five year old has come into our lives! That transition year from still kinda fringy toddler to independent kid is a fun one!

It's been special to go down memory lane a bit, even though she's the baby that had it the most rough. It was a tough time in our lives, lots of change, lots of struggle and conflict. But she was a little angel, and we were amazed at her time and time again. She's our bonny, winsome lass!







She grows sweeter every day and she adds so much to our lives! One thing that I love about my parenting journey is that things always get better and better. I thought my kids were cute and sweet back in the day, but they are cuter and sweeter now! As I get to know them, I love what I find and I just hope and pray that I don't mess them up too bad! Happy Birthday, Baby!





We did learn a few things from this recent birthday. We need a different approach to birthdays altogether. Sometimes too much attention makes kids bratty or greedy, and not enough attention is certainly not good. So I think we'll do things a different way. Shane takes the day off and we do the birthday in the morning. Then we spend the day helping others, with the kids choosing what we'll do. Lastly, maybe a date with the parents while the other two stay home. That's what the hubby and I have talked about so far, so we'll see! We want things to be balanced and we want the right outcome being produced. When we aren't getting the right result, time to tweak!

These last few days, Julia and I have had some special visits about being 5. She's a baby-talker, which concerns me. It concerns me because it drives me nuts, as well as my husband. The last thing she needs is to get negative attention! So I've been seeking out the deeper issues (no new babies, no marital unrest, ahhhh! starting kindergarten!). And in just two days, she's been responding well to my reassurance that talking baby talk won't get her more attention, but being her sweet, wonderful 5-year-old self will! I've seen her change her face and tone(on her own!) as she remembers that she doesn't have to revert to get my attention. And boy do I ever have to keep RIGHT ON TOP with the positive attention! I think she might be stressing over the boys getting me while she's gone to school, and she doesn't get an equivalent alone time with me. So we hope to fix that with some special Julia-time and see what that brings out.

Any thoughts? Any similar experiences? Any advice? Please comment! You know how it is, you just want to do what will work and do what is best for your kiddo, but sometimes you wonder: WHAT IS IT???

happy December, folks!

5 comments:

  1. I can't believe she is FIVE! And Mason just turned SIX (remember that he rolled over for the first time at your house? Sniff, sniff!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww She is getting prettier every day! Is she the oldest? I think we spend alot of time figuring out what is right and best with the first child...then sort of relax by the rest...every decision is new for the oldest. I love your ideas for the birthday! We just do the traditional cake and sometimes have friends over..whatever seems to work.
    You're right on about the baby talk..glad you figured that out! You're so proactive!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Kristy, time is a-flyin' by! I can't believe how grown-up these kids are getting, either. Little adult personalities crop up all the time. I remember some traumatic doctor visits for mommy when Mason was newborn... but all turned out well in the end *wink!* And I remember how cute Morgan looked in the Dorothy dress you made her for one halloween costume, too cute!
    Nice to have your comments on here, thanks for the support! We are long overdue for a gab session; we'll have to figure something out. ;)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the insight, Martha! Actually, Julia is the middle child, but since we are homeschooling, Lucas (6) is home for first grade. Julia does a three morning a week Montessori school for this Kindergarten year, and Aidan will do the same next year. Right now, Julia is my main concern, since her issues seem to be the most pressing. As soon as hers smooth out, I'm sure Lucas or Aidan will have something for me to worry about! =) And I know it is trite, but they are so different from each other. What works for one, is exactly the wrong thing for the other; except for loving them! ;) Which wears me out, since I have to get all creative all over again for some new characteristic that needs training/shaping, etc. Whew! I'm glad we mommies have each other!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! What a beauty!! I just love the blast from the past pictures! Those chubby cheeks! I'd comment more, but we're now having a meltdown and it's naptime anyway. So..... thanks for the post!! Love the update!

    ReplyDelete