Friday, December 10, 2010

Rant about WikiLeaks.. REALLY????? (and a treat)

Sorry folks. You've had a nice break. Only one political entry so far, I think that's pretty fair. But the time has come, when I shall once again fill the ears of friends and family who only wanted to see my kids and chickens with soapbox suds.

WikiLeaks. How upsetting! Julian Assange, the founder of the website, was arrested. Apparently, he's been arrested for rape, this will be the third(?) time he's been arrested and tried based on new evidence. And it is interesting that Interpol is involving themselves in that kind of case??? Anyway, it's irritating to find out that once he gets to Sweden, they will hand him over to our country, the good ole US of A where he can rot in prison. The land of the free, home of the brave, blah, blah, blah. So I erased my amazon info and am no longer going to patronize them, since they booted WikiLeaks off their server. Feels so impotent, but a person has to do what they can...

I'm all for protecting proper info in times of war, etc. But aren't we DONE with this war already? I mean REALLY? Are we fighting terrorism? Or something? I guess the way to do it is choose a profile for terror (poor, uneducated, disenfranchised) and eliminate them? Is that why we are at war(constantly)?

And what about the "real american way"?? The supposed transparency from people to government: uncheck(wikileaks). The innocent til proven guilty: uncheck(Guantanamo bay). The right to privacy: uncheck(warrent-less phone taps) Not to mention that in our haste to idolize capitalism, consumerism and the almighty dollar, we have(as a collective group) created a situation where the dollar reigns supreme. It is the deciding factor. If it's good for business, then it's good for everything else: health, education, happiness, environment, religion, you name it. But unfortunately, only those with the money get to make the decisions. (Should I take the power of corporations tangent at this juncture?) We don't get to decide what's on Wal*Mart's shelf. We get to choose from what they put on the shelf. Same for every other store. If you doubt me, try getting your store to carry something you buy. I've tried! Instead, you have to find the small mom and pop place (that USED to be the standard of business in America) and patronize them, telling all your friends about it so they don't go out of business. I buy my produce boxes, and tell everyone I can. But this family farm already chose to try and do business ethically and they can only succeed if enough of us decide to pay a little more for their local foods.

I'm tired of it being "uncool" to get your panties in a twist. Sorry Kelly, I do like the word. ;) So I let my panties twist up whenever they have a good reason. And I think freedom of speech is a good reason. I know many of my loved ones are saddened by my liberal leanings these days but I think you could agree that greater transparency from the White House is needed? Hence, my support for WikiLeaks.

On a more positive note: This isn't the only post for today, look below for something less political.
And again: Calysta posted some AMAZING projects on her blog and it would cheer you up to cast your orbs upon them.

And I do have one picture for you. I decorated. I was motivated by company coming and needing to clean my room. So I hastily did some decorating and was quite pleased with the effect. =)
Like it? It is Joelle inspired, and she gave me the first "believe" plaque. As always, a bit of copying must come into play when I decorate. Is that a round of applause I hear? ;) First one says "Believe. Man is what he believes", next: "Happiness is a journey, Treasure the moments." and last "Simplify. Live simply, live well."
A-men.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm. Not sure how I feel about this wikileaks thing.... it seems shisty on both sides. Glad to hear your opinions and I'm glad you're letting your UNDERWEAR get in a bunch these days if that sort of thing suits you:) I do agree with you about spending a little more to support local business.. and I've been getting more and more fired up about it. Talk of the economy makes me especially saucy....wish I was better at expressing my thoughts on the subject.
    I DO like your signs. Very cute:) You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous addition to the kitchen area!!

    Have to add here that when Kelly says "underwear" I automatically picture men's boxer briefs. Can't help it. :D

    Good rant! Reminds me that I need to talk to you more often! And, can I use my young children as an excuse why I have not even heard of Wikileaks? (Getting familiar.)

    I've been seeing pictures of Kenneth in Afghanistan on FB. And I think of the poor guy not ever wanting to go, not wanting to be there -- really feel bad for him!

    Glad you finally started up with the politics. :D
    ~C

    ReplyDelete