Monday, December 27, 2010

Dress Projects

Guess I should post about this before Julia grows out of her new dresses!

Once upon a time, a need was discovered. When the air became fallish and my daughter would wear summery clothing on a cold and blustery day, Mom realized it was time to switch out the clothes! So I did. And then Julia, who'd had eighty meeting dresses and a hundred and eighty play outfits had about two. I became seized with the mad desire to sew something and began to formulate something weird in my mind's eye. I succeeded, I think, because it is unusual. But it's kinda darling, too! I made Julia a dress out of anti-pill fleece.
I found a blue from Joann's online that I hoped would be the right blue, and it was. I found a summery dress pattern in my big sewing box of paraphernalia and adapted it to suit my fancy.
Namely the sleeves needed to be less summery. I also decided to get "fancy" and use a special stitch from my cheap-as-dirt sewing machine, and I was relieved (pleased) with the result. It looks a bit like white snowflakes.
So this dress was a birthday present for her and I became concerned, because she got all hot and flushed when she played in this dress indoors. Maybe she's right to be wearing summer clothes in winter, who knows?

So I went on to make another dress with this same pattern, but this time I had grander plans. I would make her dress out of "cooler" flannel material, and mix and match a bunch of fabric.
The blue dress was a little loose, make the new one a single size smaller but just as long. Include the gores for the flared bottom and make fancier sleeves. Woo hoo! =) And so Julia helped me pick out the fabrics and we set to work.
Now we are almost done, just have to drive alllll the way into town to get a zipper and just haven't done that yet! I'm eager to get this dress washed and wash the folds out of it, tacky!
But I pinned the back and Miss Princess wore it for the afternoon.
I used a special stitch on this dress, but only for the neckline this time.
I just wanted to get the sleeves and skirt hemmed as quickly as possible!

Now that it's even colder, the blue is perfect and keeps her cozy. I'd like to make a red fleece dress next. Maybe when I'm in town for a zipper...

3 comments:

  1. Ahhhh!!! I'm crazy with jealousy for your amazing knack at adaptability. I think I need to learn how to use my amazing sewing machine too -- because obviously, if you can get those results (w/the amazing stitches) on your machine, then any and all my problems are user error.

    ANYway, I demand more close ups!! I want to see those gores! And the bell sleeves! And all the different fabrics. I love the decorative stitch on the neckline of the dress of many colors too. And what a fresh-faced sweetie of a daughter you have!! Isn't it fun to have little girls to put frills and bell sleeves on!? (Sorry, Gina, but boys are fun to sew for too!! AND you have Marian around; you could totally make one of these dresses for her! Lol, I'm sure she'd love it. :D)

    I'm overcome with adoration. Do you mind creating your adapted pattern, PDFing it and sending it to me? :D :D It's not like you're busy shopping for zippers or doing anything else all the time............

    ReplyDelete
  2. That blue dress is a very pretty color, and you are right, the stitch around the neck does look a bit like snowflakes. Julia looks so pleased with it :) I love the frogs on the other dress. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY! I am so tackling you when we visit and getting an in depth tutorial on how to sew clothing! I tried a shirt once- it had a very pretty neckline- but alas- the directions did me in. I had no idea what I was doing and I've never tried since. You inspire me to try again. How nice that Julia has two dresses all her own and completely unique. The blue one looks snugly.... and cool use of the stitches....

    ReplyDelete