Tuesday, July 8, 2014

A Big Move

Our year to date has been very exciting, and also a bit stressful.

At the end of May, we said goodbye to our home and friends in New Mexico.  Our time there was full of happy experiences like hikes, breakfast burritos, hot air balloons, Dion's Pizza, Wildlife West, Carlsbad Caverns, chickens, learning to ride bikes, everyone's first loose tooth, and a whole host of unforgettable friends of all ages.

But happy as we were, Shane has been needing to explore the scientific research side of his education, and found an opportunity for publishing papers and going to conferences AND at a non-weapons related facility, Idaho National Labs.  Leaving was a wrench for him, since his job in New Mexico was also quite good, and he worked with a uniquely talented group of wonderful people.  In the end, he tossed the dice and here we are: Idaho!

As soon as we touched down in our little two bedroom apartment, we unpacked our meager belongings and explored the parks for a week while Shane started work.  Then we left for Parma convention.  Then we came back for a week.  Then we left for Boise to spend a week with cousins while one sister and her hubby went to Mexico for a romantic getaway.  That was a lot of fun, especially since I got to team up with my sister, Marian, and together we doted on the six rascally cousins.  Now we are back in town again and starting on our second consecutive week at our new home!

School: Back when I made the schedule last year, I didn't know we'd be moving.  So we were slated to finish around the first week of June.  However, with a moving date of May 30, packing and sorting, cleaning and general upheaval, we had to just STOP because no one could concentrate.  Especially me.  So we had five weeks left, and now we are trying to force ourselves to just get through it.  Still hard to concentrate, but on the other hand, we really feel the need for structure in these changing times.

We went to Yellowstone for the afternoon last weekend... so lovely to be able to say that!  Took some pictures, went on a hike and brought back lots of mosquito bites.  Aidan asked me why God ever made those! We had a good time anyway, and I'll try and get my picasa albums up to date with the move and everything.  And that's the news from Lake Woebegone.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sad you have moved... but I am happy for you to be on a new adventure in your life. :) I hope Shane likes his new job and everyone will adjust to the change quickly. Big change in our household- Alicja and Katrina will be doing school online this year... so much for my " I will never homeschool my kids "...

    ReplyDelete