Saturday, June 22, 2013

Colorful Chickens

Well.  I guess I have to confess to some chickenly dabbling.
I've been dabbling in chickens again.

I continually tired of finding eggs broken and eaten, so got rid of most of my chickens.  Out of pity, I kept Red, she's such a good little girl.  And simply because Shane and I couldn't catch her, we kept Marshmallow.  Or Freckles.  Not sure which one she is.

Then we stopped by the feed store and checked out some baby chicks.
Ack!  Never stop to check out baby chicks!  Especially if you have a baby chick yard all ready for them!

We bought seven little ladies: 
2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Australorps and 3 Barred Rocks

Swiftly glossing over most details, ravens got all but two Barred Rocks.
Tears were shed, entrails were buried.
(this is part of the reason so many tears were shed; bonding)

A month later after trips and such, we lucked out and our feed store shaman stocked his last batch of chicks: Buffs and Australorps!  Yay!
(incidentally, less bonding has taken place)


We now have 4 Buffs and 4 Australorp babies that just moved from the bathtub (pee yew!) to the fully enclosed chick yard outside.  They are so cute!

We have two teenage Barred Rock survivors that just moved from the fully enclosed chick yard (we quickly learned after 4 deaths to put a roof on) and are now with the "old" two chickens.


And two old ladies in the big pen; a Rhodie and a Delaware.


A grand total of 12 Chickens!

And I said my limit was 9.

Time for a new coop!

I have tried to get rid of my old coop, but I can't give the silly thing away.

I have big plans for a new one.
Shane's going to weld me a frame, the walls will slide off and on for easy cleaning and access, I will use an antiqued picture frame to make a screened in window 'cause it's cute, and it will be OFF THE GROUND!  So many amazing things about this new, not-yet-made coop.

My current crop in moving pictures:
(baby talk required)

No comments:

Post a Comment