Saturday, June 1, 2013

Adoption

I recently found out about some friends of ours beginning the journey of adoption.  And it's made me think about the subject once again, in all it's sweetness.  Be warned, I'm not well versed in adoption and the common faux pas that people say on the topic.  I'm a little worried about ignorantly saying something stupid.  So if you read on, please read with a measure of grace in your heart for me.

Growing up, we knew a few families that adopted children.  It was always a positive experience as an on-looker, although never easy because child-rearing simply isn't easy.  With one family, I got to meet each little girl the day they came to their new home, watch them become part of their new family and even attend their adoption ceremony at the courthouse with family, friends and workers present.  For those of you who know Paul Boyd, it was special to see him shed tears of joy at the ceremony and then speak often of adoption in gospel meeting.  Those little girls would just beam with joy, tapping their parents and whispering, "I'm adopted!"  It was a good kind of special, with good associations.

We have some dear friends that adopted their first child from Korea.  It was beautiful to watch them all take to each other so naturally and lovingly.  Both sides of the extended families were so eager to welcome the little guy and shower him with "grandparent-ly" enthusiasm and love.

I have some neighbors, with two boys biologically, that are doing "foster-to-adopt" and it's been a difficult road for them.  It's clear to me that they feel guided by a larger Will than their own in the step of adoption.  It's a daily act fraught with pain and heartache because of the uncertainty and children coming and going, but they are so motivated by the needs of children and their desire to share a loving family.  It's inspiring!

I had wished to adopt, but in the early married years, it wasn't a shared dream.  Now that we exceeded our capacity of two children, adopting is something that I have to wrap up and put on the shelf.  But I have little dreams of foster care that I'm saving for future days, if possible!  And someday, maybe I can be a Grandma to children born in the heart, as well as under it.

And now, more dear friends from back in the "single days"  have decided to adopt.  They have two bio daughters who are ready to open their hearts and home to make more family.   I can think of three other families I know who have adopted, one started with adoption, the other finished with adoption and the third only adopted.  I love how each adoption story, each journey is so unique yet motivated by the similar things: the desire to share in a family, and the needs of the children themselves.

Although I realize adoption is not exclusively a spiritual decision, I do enjoy thinking of it in that light.  That God wanted a family, so He adopted us.  That God loves us in our need, and gives us gifts beyond compare.  That He even sees us as worthy of adoption, we who are so much less than He.  Like marriage can be a type of Christ and the church, natural adoption is a type of us being spiritually adopted in the family of God.  I'm thankful God adopted me, and I'm thankful for those who show this great gift to children in this world.

2 comments:

  1. Very sweet comments, Melita. I do admire people who adopt. I think it takes a special kind of couple to do that, and I never did feel that I had the qualifications. I remember Paul Boyd speaking about adoption. I believe he was adopted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely lovely! Like all situations thrown at us, chosen or not, there is both struggle and joy. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete