Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Nutmeg Pie, with a little Peach

 The mood for pie struck!

There was supper to make, but supper could wait.


Julia was my little helper, getting ingredients and supervising the peaches.

I swiftly realized that I had no more white flour in the house, only whole wheat.  Well, there was no denying the craving, so total whole wheat, here I come!

Gina's pie recipe in hand, we adapted it to fit our needs.  Her recipe is supreme, and although I have a black thumb or the kitchen equivalent when it come to crusts, I can manage this one.  It is:
Old Fashioned Pie Crust
(top and bottom for 2 pies)
4 C. flour
1 T sugar
2 t salt
Combine.
Cut in
1 3/4 C butter
Whisk together
T vinegar
1 egg
1/2 C ice water
Pour into flour and toss until a ball forms.
Note: I learned from Carleen to keep a block of butter in the freezer and grate frozen butter into the flour.

We improvised on the filling, I cooked up some frozen peaches to help them thaw and soften and put in some brown sugar, tapioca beads, flour, and then I asked Julia to tap in some nutmeg.

She emptied the container.


The idea for cookie cutter shapes on top came from my sister's husband's sister's husband.  =) Truly! Thank-you, Jonathan!!

The pie lasted that evening through lunch the next day.  Shane informed me that he liked the crust best, as he ate the crust off the top.  It was really nutmeggy!  Yes, nutmeggy.  The rest of us enjoyed the entire pie.  But next time it will have white flour and no nutmeg.

4 comments:

  1. SO cool! Aside from all the nutmegginess. But you gotta have a good story! Love the hearts. I'm inspired to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someday not too far down the road, you will be able to give your kids the option of cooking the meal or doing the dishes :) Miss ya'll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmmm. Looks delicious even if there was a ton of nutmeg... I mean come on. Its pie. I'm craving soft pretzels and saw a recipe on the web I'm dying to try. Must. Try. Even. Though. Terrified. Yes, things made with flour scare me:) Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVELY CRUST!! i may have to copy someday soon!

    ReplyDelete