Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Laundry Room Makeover!

Before you get all excited, this isn't like most makeovers.  It's strictly functional, not so much cute.  Perhaps one day I'll get around to decorating, but for now, I'm just happy to have things more useable!

However, I did get one decoration:


Before:


This is how things looked after saying goodbye to the old washer and dryer and buying only a washer to replace them.  We are now dryerless!  Oh yeah, and the shelf was piled high with junk...


Above, those doors are to the water heater, so the space is limited around those doors.

So I emptied the room(8x5.5 feet) and knocked out the shelves and prepared to paint:



The hallway full of junk that Shane had to step over every day...


And now the painting!


Taped it up, cut in the edges (with massive help from Lucas!) and the walls look so much better!
Yay!


And here's the current after pictures:


I can't believe I forgot to mention IKEA...  I forced my family to take a vacation to Phoenix for some sun, swimming and SHOPPING!  Truth be told, it only took about a half hour in IKEA before I was ready to be done shopping.  However, I had a HUGE list and so I worked out on their horribly wheeled carts for another couple hours.  Those things are bears!

The rug above is from Ikea, as are the two folding clothes drying racks.  Works perfect for doors that need to be able to open, since the racks fold out for drying and then lay flat against the wall when not in use. The red thing is a "socktopus" which has eight legs and 16 clips for socks. What a wonderful invention! We bought three.


And this picture features the two Grundtal shelves that can be used to hang shirts on.  I will be putting up two wooden shelves below them after my next trip to Ikea, and I have three towel racks to hang with S hooks and shower clips for delicates.  And I need to put away Shane's tools.  And I need to get some cute storage bins for up top.  Then I should be set!

I can now hang and dry at least two full loads of laundry in there.  By the time I've washed a third load, the first one is usually dry.  =)  

I thought I'd have to force myself to just deal with the extra work of air drying all laundry, but I've been pleasantly surprised.  It's relaxing, the kids love to help, and it slows things down and I have time to put away laundry before it piles up.  Ahhhhhh!

4 comments:

  1. Yay for air-drying! It kills me to suck 220 volts for a dryer when we live in the desert like we do. And it's a great excuse for me slow down long enough to get some air and sunshine. :)
    I have mobile clothes dryers because I like to hang outside in the sun if the weather is nice enough. The problem? Our desert has wind, too. I need something to stake the dryers down to the porch...
    Anyway, great job on your remodel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the rug with the wall color. Bet you're loving it all finished! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love it! I'm a little bummed... I should have waited to buy paint til I got the rug, because now the walls are clearly aqua compared to the baby blue of the rug. Like Shane said, "Close enough!" =)
    @ Kim, I love not using the energy when we've got such great drying capability here! But I must have an indoor setup, since we also get a lot of wind, which equals dust. Gobs of it, all over everything. So I'll hang stuff outside, but not when it's very windy. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute. Wanna come do mine? I'm keeping my dryer though:) Oh, and I think it might look funny if the rug and the walls matched exactly and it looks great as is:) I like your sign too, goof ball. Very cute:)Oh, I said that already. Well it is.

    ReplyDelete