Thursday, April 28, 2011

Giving

We've been trying to teach our children about giving.

There are many ways of giving, but most of them boil down to money.  We wish that we could teach our children about giving their time, their care and their things and let it be.  But we've discovered that money must also be dealt with when teaching our children about being selfless.

The first step was to introduce them to an allowance.  We have a chore chart that rotates, and everyone is on an even playing field.  Everyone gets a turn with the same chores, even Aidan.  Nice to be able to finally keep it fair!  And the rules of the game run this wise: all chores must be done, regardless.  But if the chore is not done cheerfully (which must be coupled with a stipulation against complaining), then you don't get a sticker for the chore.  Chore gets done, but no sticker.  If they don't get enough stickers, they don't get their weekly dollar.  So the dollar is more for the attitude than the chore itself.

Enter the concept of what an allowance can "get you".  Enter trips to the store to purchase plastic junk.  Enter the introduced concept of sharing that allowance.  Early on, the idea that the money is "theirs" permeates everything.  And it's like teaching a person to share all over again.  Just like we did with toys when they were little (and sometimes we still have to work on it), we teach them that even though something belongs to us, it's still right to share.  Enter the plight of the human condition and a heart of care for the needs of others.  We want to hit all the angles and expose them to awareness about the needs of others.  Like Haiti and Japan.  Like addictions.  Mental illness.  Hunger.  And the overwhelming example of Jesus in His care for the human condition with all its ugliness and sorrow.

Unlike sharing, charity is not something you can or should "make" a child do.  I sought out answers to my questions in the realm of adult attitudes towards charity.  I took a good look at myself.  I talked to Shane.  He (as always) had an insightful, personal thought on the subject.  He said that when he thinks about what he's done for others, he always feels bad because it isn't much.  He doubted that any old person has said "Boy, I wish I hadn't given away so much to charity!"  We discussed our penchant for wanting "more".  There's always so many irons in the fire, that we can never get to them all.  A new upright freezer, a washer/dryer in one drum, a patio, a new car, pay down the loans, move the driveway to a new spot, save up for yearly vacations... and plenty of indoor ideas.  With all that we want to do, it's easy to forget that someone, many someones, are hungry.  Many somebodies don't get a good education.  And how comfortable do we feel when we choose ourselves, repeatedly, over them?  Shane and I agree: not so very.  Jesus didn't say "fill up thy barns and build bigger", but he said "take no thought for the morrow or for what you will wear or what you will eat".

I think it is an unavoidable, human trait to want.  And I suppose that the first thing I can do for my children is to WANT to think of others.  And to expose them to the burgeoning of love for others that comes with charity, and also to be wary of self-congratulation or the praise of men.

Whew!  Any thoughts?

6 comments:

  1. Whew is right! Your kids are so LUCKY!!! Fabulous fabulous mom! (Just soak up the praise for a minute before you start rolling your eyes.) I'm so with you on that list of all these THINGS that we want.

    I think one of the even harder things for me to teach will be to SAVE. I find much joy in buying gifts for people and wrapping and giving... Birthdays are more fun for other people. :D Mike has had repeated conversations with me trying to hold me back on siblings'/parents' birthdays. But then, those are people I know and love -- a lot different from giving to strangers in need; especially needs that are rather foreign. So it's good to be reminded of that.

    Anyway, great thoughts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. methinks you are a good thinker! ( btw..i wrote a rebuttal;-)
    it is human nature to "wait to get" instead of being "ready to give"...someone shared that wisdom with me regarding marriage recently..their counselor said..."People should only get married if they're ready to give!" Instead people so often get married because "the other" makes them "happy"...then, when the daily grind starts and they're not happy...guess who they blame? The other!! ha! So...yes, giving is an art form. Thanks for giving this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melita, those are some good values to instill in your kids. Why not add this book to your collection, "Debt Proof Your Kids" by Mary Hunt. I wish I had read her books when our family was young. Her whole money-management system is something that can be taught from a very young age... Give to others, put some away in savings, then live on the rest. Just think if everybody did that. It says, live on the rest... not live on what's not ours, or what's coming tomorrow. If everybody practiced this, including our government, we would all be debt-free and earning interest on our money, not paying interest to others and living hand to mouth. Our children can be taught about the needs of a homeless ministry from an early age, too. As you said, charity shouldn't be forced on them, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to plant a few seeds in their little, generous minds. I remember when our oldest found that big wad of money, and wondered for a long time how he'd spend it. I tried to encourage him to get something he could enjoy for a long time, not just something that would break and be gone in a short time... so, that turned into a purchase of our big bag of legos... which were well used for many years. Good luck on this project :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Good for you! :-) Giving money is a HUGE struggle for me. And I haven't come to terms with it yet. I'm actually much better at giving of myself, or feeding people. So I guess it's better to start somewhere than nowhere at all. :) Hopefully I'm teaching my kids by example.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read a book recently called Same Kind Of Different As Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore. Its a true story about the unlikely friendship of a penniless African American share cropper and an upper class white woman. Its stayed with me for a long time, not really because I loved the story so much (I liked parts, but not others), but because it made me think about myself and my attitudes. This woman and her husband decide one day to become involved in the local homeless shelter and not just holiday involved, REALLY involved. She is relentless in her quest to befriend the African American homeless man who has no interest in being friends with anyone. In fact he's scary. So, to make a long story short, the moral is, love those that aren't easy to love. And, I know this is probably an old concept to all of you, but it was kind of new to me in that I've never absorbed it until I read this book. It made me want to overcome my silly fears and help out. I haven't figured out how to do it yet, but I've got it in my head:) One person's example is an extremely powerful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, everyone, for your insightful input! Much of what you said resonated with me. I also find giving actual money away to be difficult, as well. And I also have ideas and inspiration in my heart and mind, but have not yet put it into action. And I agree that our example is the best teacher. There are many things my children do just because it's the way things go around here. Familiar. And I'd like all aspects of giving (meals, time, money, etc) to be something familiar in our lives as they grow up. The kids will be much more likely to do it. I remember Mom taking us(and a group of homeschoolers) to the Women's shelter and dropping off baskets with soap and shavers, candy and nail polish in them. I'm glad we did that, and other things, too. But I still find it hard to know where to start and if I can figure that out, maybe it will be easier for my kids to know how to take the initiative when they no longer live under my guidance.
    I really appreciate the support, too. Or maybe even motivation from each of you!
    Thanks! =)

    ReplyDelete