Monday, May 2, 2011

Vegetarian Cooking and a Salmon Soapbox

Happy May! We got snow on May Day, how's that for a temperamental spring?  It's been so lovely, that I planted my garden weeks ago. =)  But my garden is so small, that it will be a simple thing to replant.  Life does, indeed, go on!

So I'm on the prowl, and I need some guidance and most of all, IDEAS!!!  The latest bee in my bonnet is looking into some vegetarian cooking.  Maybe someday we'll move entirely to vegetarian, but for now, my goal is to make vegetables the centerpiece at meals.  We have June's lovely Red Beans and Rice recipe that we can leave the meat out of and enjoy as vegetarian, and that's a start.  I'm looking at chickpeas, maybe in salads for protein and maybe even dabbling in tofu.  I haven't had much experience with either, but I hear tofu needs to be paired with something flavor-rich, or marinated since it's so bland on it's own.

From what I can see, the top plant protein performers are:
beans and rice
chickpeas
quinoa
tofu

Anyone know of more powerhouse veggies in the protein department?

We don't really have to stress, since we will only be eating a vegetarian meal once a week.  However, I'd really like to get to know my "stuff" on vegetarian eating and do it right.  A Mom must always remember about those little ones learning by example! =)

I am not interested in going Vegan, just to be clear.  I embrace eggs and dairy. =)  I embrace meat, too, but I'd like to learn to be less dependent on it, and go for a heartier portion of veggies as life goes on.

I think fish, salmon especially, is a meat we do want on the table with some regularity.  But we only buy the salmon from the heavily regulated fisheries, not farm raised, or wild-caught that are overfished.  And we found out that there's going to be oil drilling right smack dab in the middle of where our fish are responsibly fished in Alaska.  So as soon as dependable old human error comes into play, and another leak or spill occurs in that location, we won't be able to get salmon anymore.  Because we won't support farms or fisheries that overfish wild salmon.  It is frustrating that it would even be allowed when the fish situation is already precarious, but I only have one option.  Do the little I can do, then take deep breaths and try not scream.  And one "little" I can do is spend my money supporting things that are right.  As you all know, wild alaskan salmon is not cheap.  $30 for a 3lb bag.  Farm raised is much cheaper.  But I'm letting my money talk, even though I'm just one person.  Can I afford to support safe fishing or can I afford not to?  May I always do right or do without!

Shane said that if a person wants to be right, then it would be a good idea to get used to being wrong a LOT!  I love it.  He was talking about himself, in case that would ever be unclear.  But it's so true.  Right isn't getting people to believe my opinion, which could easily be wrong.  Right is that constant search for truth, coming a little at a time and only as I'm honest and willing to be wrong.

4 comments:

  1. I got very brave one day (in a house FULL TO THE BRIM of carnivores) and made myself these: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Thai-Tofu-Lettuce-Wraps. I thought the recipe was very good, and Kayla and Kenny even said it was alright (Karinda didn't try). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a good eggplant parmesan recipe that can be made with or without the ground beef. Also... black bean and corn salad is a yummy main dish meal. Also my Stafford fast food: grilled cheese on wheat rounds...fast and satisfying. Just put some cheddar cheese on each half of a wheat round, and put under broiler. Serve with carrot sticks or other raw veggies or even salad. If I feel like I need to splurge a little, I'll butter the wheat rounds and then brown each half with the cheese on it in a cast iron skillet, then stick under the broiler to melt the cheese. And... another good, fast, and cheap meal is a cheese omelet with fresh spinach leaves placed over the eggs before cooking. After set, sprinkle shredded cheese and let melt, before folding omelet over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ever tried Portabella burgers? I think they are delish. We eat them pretty often when its warm enough to grill. I'll give you the recipe if you're interested. I hear you about spending your money to support the cause. I get frustrated trying to stay on top of whats healthy and what just seems healthy. Then you have the environment to take into account and all the toxins that are put into the food we eat. And how that food is raised and if the harvesting of that food causes damage in some way. How can you ever know enough? How can one person think/worry/research/decipher/uncover/weigh the risk enough? I feel like I have to have super human powers. Drives me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the big new comer in my dietary reprotoire ( yikes...bad spelling there and too lazy to fix it) is chia seeds. great omega fatty acids and other sundry nutrients!

    by the way you soooo have my number. i did another post for ya. hee hee.

    ReplyDelete