Thursday, October 7, 2010

A Little of Everything

Well, it's a Thursday night and the weekend is in sight! I feel a little beat and ready to just relax a bit. I like that about our Friday's: no plans! Everyone is home, and it's our one normal school day when Julia can be home for school in the morning.

Today was our morning at Wildlife West, and this time I left Aidan at the Montessori School with Julia. No issues there, he would like to live there if he could! Miss Beth seemed to adore him from the day we met her, and had many positive things to say about him today. =) And the fact that he wasn't potty trained yet didn't deter her at all, and happily Aidan did not reward her with wetting his pants, either.
We had some excitement at WLW today, however. Myself and a senior feeder were just going in to Spirit's cage (a young, female bobcat) and it has two gates for extra security(they all do). I met the feeder in the "air lock" and passed her the food. She went into the cage to clean it, and I went back out. We both left our gates ajar... Spirit came stealthily padding out and down the path, straight at Lucas! He yelled for me, but Christie, an even more senior feeder told him to be perfectly still. He did as he was told, and I went to him and locked him in a different bobcat cage (but no worries, this bobcat was secure in a different enclosure) and Lucas was out of harm's way. I grabbed the food, lured Spirit closer to her cage and when she saw her own open gate, she ran back inside. WHEW!!! Lucas explained to all how he was so scared he was shivering! Luckily, Spirit was hand-raised from infancy and is still very young, so she probably isn't too much of a danger. But we don't like to find out!

I thought I'd post some picture of Lucas and Aidan's room, and the space decals I've used in there. I also have a shot of Lucas's private desk space, he loves to "save" everything!



And here is Lucas's little school corner. He likes the idea of having a place to invent and experiment with his scientific endeavors.

Earlier this week, I saw this sherpa blanket thingy at Costco and could not withhold it from myself. It is so cosy and everyone thinks it belongs to them. I have to remind everyone that it's MINE and I'm nice enough to share. Mom rarely gets blankets of her own! And this is my first, although I admit it does look good on Aidan.


Julia got some new PJ's too, some cute, ruffly stuff that mommy could have made, but with all the things I need to do, I just decided to take on thing off my list for now.


Things hanging over my head:
Nesting boxes to build
Several school organization projects for teaching stuff, reading, school room and the activity closet.
Water collection from the chicken house roof (already bought the materials so I can't scratch it from the list)
Painting ~ I still have Julia's room, hallways and my room. THEN I can do things like bathrooms and laundry rooms =D woohoo!
I have baby blankets to finish before the babies graduate from college
Patchwork denim comforters for the boys bunkbeds
aaaaaaand I WANT to sew for Julia! Hanna Andersson is my new inspiration! Lots of A-line and trim, I like the simple, elegant look.

Chicken update: as noted above, they need nesting boxes because they will begin laying any day, now. They are big and lovely girls, they don't look so scrawny anymore. They have some attitude, but will do anything for fresh corn, heh heh. I have a cardboard box in the coop for them until I can design a nesting box that will be attached to the inside of the coop permanently. Garden: I have green tomatoes on the vine. Oh, and lots of basil. And that's all!

So, how do you fit it all in? Caffeine? No sleep? Super organized? "Just that type"? I dunno how I can make it all work, but I'll let you know how it goes!
~ttfn

4 comments:

  1. One thing from your list a week? I have no IDEA how you fit in what you already fit in, let alone that list. Wait, that's not inspiring at ALL.

    But these are things you can be very very thankful for: You look amazing. You typically get great sleep since you go to bed so early. Your kids are smart whippersnappers.

    Okay, I could go on and on but then I might sound preachy. Those are just things you can't put on a list. Well you could, but they're some of the hardest to accomplish and you just DO it!

    Maybe I should take up sewing for Julia. Wait, why do you want to even try? She has loads and loads of clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucas's room looks cool. Glad he escaped being attacked by the bobcat.

    Calysta is right... enjoy these days, even though you feel as if you'll never get everything accomplished. Those kids are growing up so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found you through Jeanie's blog! Yeah! I really wish I knew my cousins WAY better and this seems like a great way to start. Just spent awhile enjoying your blog in its entirety. :-D

    TOTALLY understand the way-too-much-to-do syndrome. Here's my not-too-helpful secret: rotate the things you let slide. ;-)

    At my house, the kids always need my time and attention, but sometimes the garden really needs picking/planting/weeding, or Kenny is coming home and really wants the kitchen clean, or laundry is piled so high it's tipping over, or the phone rings, or the mending pile is so deep that the kids have no clothes... sound familiar? Not everything gets done at the same time, they just have to take their turn and stand in line. And occasionally a nap takes cuts. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, I loved your comment, it's so helpful!! And it's fun to be in touch, I need to figure out a way to get your email, I'll have to pester Jeanie about it. I loved your tips for Susan and made a copy for myself, too. And happily, life is always cycling, so that even when I'm swamped and down, I'm never down for long and the awesome days get their share, too. =)
    Thanks for yours!

    ReplyDelete