Friday, October 15, 2010

Donuts for Dinner

After having donuts on the mind for a week or so, we decided to just jump in and make a batch. No matter that the kitchen was a mess(still is) because donuts are a messy project anyway. So we made a batch of cake donuts because they are quick and don't require resting the dough or rising the donuts before frying. They aren't as good, light and fluffy as the yeast dough (usually with a cup of mashed potatoes), but they were good enough! And I won't post a recipe because anything off the net will do. When we make the yeast recipe, I'll post that one. =)

I must confess, donuts were our dinner. I wasn't allowed any more calories after helping myself, and the kids could barely finish their two donuts that they decorated. Except for Lucas. He had some leftover tamale pie and then another donut hole. =) Hollow leg!

Aidan and Julia helped me with the ingredients, Lucas showed up later on...

Mixing the wet ingredients...

This part went REALLY quick! I had to be fast to get a picture. These donuts spent about 20-30 seconds in boiling oil, then they were done. I got a splash of oil on Lucas, oops, poor guy!

This is why Lucas got splashed, though. He had to be front and center with his nose in the pot!

Shane tossed most of the donuts with cinnamon and sugar, showing me the way they did it as kids: put them in a container with the lid on and shake! =) But I saved six for the kids to decorate with chocolate frosting and sprinkles. Their art work:

Aidan chose blue sprinkles with touches of green...

Lucas chose red, white and blue with touches of Aidan's blue and green...

Julia, smart child, chose a six-pack of sprinkles to give herself the widest variety... =)

Shane healthily chose an apple, having been starved without them for a week. He used to eat apples when we'd talk on the phone back in the dating day. And the crunch of an apple bite is still exciting to this day. ;)

Time to take a bite!!!



Mmmmm, yummy! They were pretty good, and are going to contribute to the donut around my middle. But I don't care. What is life without a little yummy fun?

Have a fun fall weekend!

2 comments:

  1. They look amazing! I love the pics of the kids each taking their first bite. Did you have to get the others to wait so you could get individual pictures? And that's hilarious how close Lucas was getting! The pictures I mean, not his injury. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, Yum... maybe I should try frying some in my fryer....

    ReplyDelete