Thursday, October 14, 2010

McCall's Pumpkin Patch

Today we went to McCall's Pumpkin Patch with Julia's Montessori School. The kids got to select their own pumpkin, for the first time at a real pumpkin patch. However, they have big plans to grow their own pumpkin patch next year. =)

They actually picked out their pumpkins in two or three minutes! We were the first back on the hay ride. The rule: pick any pumpkin you want, but YOU have to carry it!

This is a picture of Ms. Beth, Julia's teacher and most of the kids in her class. Lucas is not her student and she is missing two of her own. As you can see, Aidan is a leetle bit nervous!


There are more things to do there on the weekends, but today we fed the goats, played in a Wee Western town complete with bar and jail, played in a corn box (not sandbox), took a hayride, climbed a very tall hay mountain, went on a tunnel slide and did a kids maze. A few other things, too, but you get the drift. We had some lunch and met a couple ladies and their kids who were using American Sign Language and made friends with them. They told us about a play group at a deaf school in Albuquerque that is free to the public, and we will be going! If we are going to learn to sign, we need to make friends with people that sign, too.
I'm glad we got to go, we were going to hit the apple orchard but it sold out in three weeks and closed. Ooops! So much for bushels of apples and cider! Gotta find a new source so I can do all my apple baking.

A chicken update: I finished some nesting boxes over the weekend, which was very amazing of me, since I was sick. But those girls are over 20 weeks now, and could lay anytime. Then again, they might wait til spring. No telling. But I promise, the first egg will be a huge deal, and you will see many pictures of it! =)
These nesting boxes are stained and ready to go, but I have to do some renovations in the coop before I can screw it into the wall. For now, it just sits there. Who knows how long til I get the next phase done? Maybe next time I get sick. =) And here's a pix of my girls with chin and cheek whiskers. Cute, eh?

I have big plans for this weekend, I want to post some of my favorite fall and winter recipes. I also plan to try my hand at apple strudel. Time to turn to hearth and stove and crank up the baking, stewing and souping. Especially the baking! My wall sign that appears this time of year?
"Gobble til you Wobble!"

A-men.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What fun the pumpkin patch looks like! No wonder you didn't call me! Well, I was productive (FOR ME, so don't compare!) and went to the park for the first time since getting back from your house. I sat Tyler in a pile of leaves and he stayed sitting for a LONG time! He was amazed by all their crackling and attempted to eat them only a few times. Cora was busy fetching leaves to pile around him and he soon had quite a bank to stir around.

    The light was gorgeous, the leaves were amazing, the kids are adorable... so I snapped a gazillion pictures on my phone. And, Melita, I'm finally in the spirit for this season!! I can fully enter in to the spirit of your posts! Except for the baking, still trying to restrain myself there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, glad you are finding so many fun things to do with the kids Melita... and you too, Calysta. I just have to smile, thinking of you two with your kiddos. :) Nice nest boxes Melita. You are amazing! Wonder Woman! LOL. Pretty girls too... such pretty colors. I can't wait to see you all... the girls too. We hope to come that way on Terry's next time home... If he ever gets offshore to Brazil, that is! :)

    ReplyDelete