Wednesday, January 16, 2013

More Skirts

I made a skirt for Julia not long ago, but it was so full that the gathers at the waist were WAY too bunchy!

So I made a couple more.

This first one, I attempted to create my own pattern out of butcher paper.  And for a first try, it'll do.  But I know a little better how to create a pattern, now. =)  Nothing like a little experience, even if it is truly a "little".  This fabric is flannel, picked out by Calysta.



In the back, I tried to create a bit of a kick pleat, but after cutting out the material, I realized I hadn't thought it through properly.  So it's a nice little random visual in the back.


The second skirt I made using a pattern that I've used before.  A total circle skirt, perfect for twirling.  I made her "blanket skirt" using this same pattern.  But this time, I made the circle skirt in two layers, so that the second layer peeks out from under the first one.  The reason for this was to double up on a thin, cotton material for winter and to add interest.  Built in slip!


You can see a bit better the underskirt in muslin with the edging that matches the waistband.


No doubt poodles are twirly!

1 comment:

  1. Very nice, Melita. Both skirts are cute, but the blue "poodle" skirt is my favorite. I made one of those for Marilyn one time out of pink fabric with a white poodle appliqued to it. That was fun. :) Also.. love the new picture at the top.

    ReplyDelete