Monday, January 28, 2013

Laundry Room ~ a new table!

I already did a few posts about my laundry room getting a bit of a make-over.  Strong words for the likes of me, but it did at least get some paint and new shelves!  Now a post on another small change that has worked wonders.

Since we went "dryer-less" last..... February?????  Wow, I had no idea it's been almost a year.  Okay, so I don't miss the dryer except for one thing:  down jackets and comforters.  Other than that, it's super! And there's even a fix for down: you beat it to death, gently.

I've had time to see what works and what doesn't, and one of my goals went unrealized for awhile.  I wanted laundry to enter the room, get washed, hang dry, and get folded all in that one room.  Couldn't happen.  Didn't have the counter space for it.  So Shane made me a quick, excellent little table that just fits the space and I'm in business!  Kids bring their laundry baskets in, sort the clothes into the proper hampers, and then take back their pile of clean laundry and put it away.  They also have to help hang and help fold, of course.... =)  I definitely qualify for a wicked mom badge.


We moved the washer into the corner, and now when the door is open, it isn't in the way.
The pile of laundry is just waiting for Aidan's helpful little hands to put it away...


I like that the laundry sorters can fit under the table and not look so sloppy.
But most of all, I like the extra space for folding!


You know what hanging wet laundry reminds me of?  Nursing!

Wait, hold on.  I am not folding laundry in some weird way.  I promise.  It's just that you have to be in one place to do it, and at first your mind races over all the other things you could do, should do, need to be doing...  And then the inevitability sets in and you resign yourself to just being in the moment.  Then you realize that you are enjoying the break, the quiet, the time alone with your thoughts (or your baby, if you are actually nursing).  It's a forced slow-down and I like it! =)


I'm off to do some laundry!

3 comments:

  1. Very nice, Melita. I like it. You being in the laundry room taking a break, alone with your thoughts reminds me of the time when the kids were little, and I went outside to hang up yet another load of diapers. It was a beautiful, sunny day, so decided to take down the dry laundry while I was out there, and fold it as I took it down, leaving the kids inside to take a nap. I forgot about the pot of beans I had on the stove, that I was going to just bring to a boil, and then turn off and let soak... When I came back in, I found the pot on fire and a smoke-filled house with some very excited kids.... Luckily my timing was pretty good, and I didn't burn up the house with the kids in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy story, June!! At least you got a little bit of down time before being plunged into panic and mayhem! :)

      Delete
  2. I love love LOVE the new streamlined quality of your laundry room! I can see how just a few simple changes (space to fold and space to hide the hamper AND not having to reach around the washer door) would make your laundry experience all the more relaxing, easy, etc. Yay!!! Can't wait to come and do laundry at your house again!

    ReplyDelete