Monday, July 16, 2012

The Biddies Have Moved!

Just to be clear, I am talking about chickens.
I am NOT talking about some of our friends who will soon be moving away!

Shane got sick and tired of the unsightly chicken yard.  We had it in the corner where four yards meet, and he just hated giving the neighbors such a bad view.  He handled it the best possible way: by volunteering to help me every step of the way.

Well, the job is done.  So here are a few pictures of the old and new locations.
Locations Old and New.

Old Location ~
looking out from the back porch toward the southwest

New Location
Standing by the old chicken yard.  
This new location was chosen for its many trees.
At first, I was concerned that the chickens would use the trees to fly over the fence.
Once again, I overestimated the girls.


A little closer, Shane's gate all good to go.  


Inside the yard, taking a picture looking north.


Standing at the north side, taking a picture looking south.
See how nice and shady this yard is?  ALL DAY!


And Julia, with all 8 girls.
Australorps: Big Mama, Cannibal and Crystal
Americaunas: CJ and BrynnaCoraOlivaStafford
Delawares: Marshmallow and Snowball
Rhode Island Red: Red


New update:  We have bid our final farewell to Cannibal.  She has been sent to execution for aggressive hen-pecking and egg eating.  But still it was hard to send her off. =(  
Crystal has gone broody once again, and I bought three fertilized Americauna eggs for her to hatch.  She is very excited about this, but is refusing to go into the maternity ward.  She wants to stay in the main coop and this is posing a big problem.  I tried caging her  up with the eggs in the maternity area, but she just ignored the nest and eggs altogether, opting to sleep on the ground at night and walk around all fluffed out during the day.  Chicken brain.  So the latest plot that I have hatched (har har) is that I fitted a cardboard box exactly in the spot she likes best, filled it with hay and eggs and I plan to move her into the maternity ward in the dead of night, while she sleeps upon her eggs.  Today, she happily sat on those eggs.  I will see about moving her tonight.  I just need her away from all the other chickens!  

I'll keep y'all posted on this exciting saga!


1 comment:

  1. Nothing like a good chicken saga to spice up my day! So cool to see the new location. I'm sure your neighbors are so appreciative. ;) Can't wait to hear about any bebe chickens. Fun fun!

    ReplyDelete