Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Homeschool vs. Public School

Nice, attention-grabbing title, eh?  But if you are looking for answers, I don't have any.  I have conflicts! I thought it might be nice to air a few (just a few!) of the things flying around in my brain, lately.  Please comment on any trends or perspectives, I'm hoping for some clarity!

I typically don't have much conflict about homeschooling.  I think it's great, I like doing it, I like the curriculum I am working on, the kids are progressing from average upwards.  All's well, you might say.

Enter a particularly high-hormone couple of days and a chat with the hubby.  Now, I need him in many ways, and one of those ways is to keep me balanced and clear-headed.  However, he didn't have the best timing when he brought up his issues.  First, he suggested we decide what we want for our kids in future and make the best decisions how to get there.  I just sort of stared at him, because I remember starting to have that conversation in high school with my BFF, Becca, about what qualities we wanted in our children and how we would achieve this as parents.  I didn't know Shane back then.  But I (shock and awe!) kept my sassy, hormone-raging mouth shut.  The second issue he brought up was how Lucas and I are clashing and he is concerned about our relationship and if it could be wrecked by being around each other too much.  (More on that later, perhaps)

He brought up several things, then told me I could decide to do whatever I wanted, but we needed to move if they were going to public school, and kissed me goodnight.

So now I've been in the hairy process of trying to weigh things out.  This is frustrating, because who can be a balanced scale?  We all have our biases, and I can't figure out how to be sure mine aren't interfering.

My first thought was to send the kids to public school for a year to "see" what is "best" for each "kid".  Oh wait, I really do mean kid.  What that year would really test is if they do BETTER there than they do at home.  But this is again fraught with frustration.  What they need each year changes!  Their personalities will shift with time and age and how can I possibly anticipate what they need in four years?  two? nine?  I begin to feel that the only right way to do it, is to have two lives each, look at the outcomes and THEN decide.

Another part of the problem:  Sometimes I get caught up in being "fair".  I know, it's shameful.  What I mean is that other families spend their time deciding what is best for their family as a whole.  They send their kids to public school.  I come along and decide what to do for my family, but I'm trying to make sure my decision shows others that I'm comfortable with their choice.  I want people to know that my homeschooling choice isn't meant to condemn their different choice(Because often HSers are "do or die").  So instead of making a choice for my family, I make a choice for my family plus my imaginary cloud of onlookers.

I wonder about other people making these decisions.  I wonder, do we all have a "first" in our minds about which is better?  Some people would only do one or the other, others are willing to say both could work, but of that second group, we collect up our  personal experience, training, bias, bits of info, feelings and come out with a favorite.  Is that how?  Maybe my love for teaching, my homeschool background, my control freak issues, too-easy college teacher training and some other random ingredients make homeschooling my most comfortable first choice.  Is it okay for us all to go to our favorite choice, unless something compels us to change?  If public school was my go-to comfort zone, would I be willing to homeschool for a year to see what was best for each kid?  Would I need to be?

Do I want to send them to public school just to see how they do?  No.  Not a bit.  But should I?

Should I?  And that is what I can't figure out.

7 comments:

  1. I can tell we need to get together! The older my kids get and the more I think about these issues, the less I feel that there is a 'favorite' or a 'right' choice. Of course, this knowledge comes at a time when my kids are in their last few years of school and many of the decisions have already been made. It's the irony of life.

    So, here's my 5 cents:

    1. All the possibilities have advantages and disadvantages, and in the long run, the decision is not as critical as it might seem, since you will be a caring attentive parent in any situation.

    2. Your day to day quality of life is more important than making the 'right' choice. If homeschooling affects that in a negative way (which is something only you can determine), then don't ignore that.

    3. You need a list. Each option at the top with pros and cons underneath. You might be surprised at what will stand out.

    4. God knows what is best better than you do. If you give him a willing ear, and some time, he can make it clear.

    5. No decision is permanent. Life has a way of changing the game on us at regular intervals. We just do the best with what we're given at any one time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you! Yes, we definitely need to get together. Can you tell I'm just lost without you?! =) Thanks for all your points, and I do need to get on the list-making one and really see how things look. And yes, it's so true that God can really give me peace since He's unique in seeing the big picture. Thank-you, thank-you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess what...the questions haven't gone away for me yet, and I am on the downhill side timewise.

    That said, here are my thoughts.

    * I don't think any situation is going to be perfect for any child or parent. Life just doesn't work that way.

    * I think it's a balance between what's best for the family and what's best for the individuals involved. I see living examples that public schooling can work, and there have been many times I've decided Kayla would do very well with many aspects of public school. But my original reason for homeschooling hasn't changed (hunting as a family is very important to my husband and most seasons are smack-dab in the middle of the school year). She's fine with hsing so I'm not compelled enough to change the status quo.

    * Make your choice on what is best for your family. Without the crowd of onlookers. I think if you're nonconfrontational when talking with other parents who send their kids to public school, they won't feel threatened. The biggest group of friends the girls have all public school, and if they feel threatened by our choice, I have completely missed all the signs.

    * I think, as a mom, you have the right to go to your comfort zone as long as it's not majorly interfering with your kids. Minorly interfering? Probably still OK because everyone gets to learn, at some point, how to deal with life that doesn't always go the way they would like it to.

    * I can see Shane's point about your relationship with Lucas. I don't have a son, so the dynamics of my relationship with my girls will be different than yours. However, another reason I hs is because I think I could be distant from my family members pretty easily - it's my personality and conditioning. So to me, having to be with my kids has forced me to work through the difficulties with each kid and find a way to work with them. It makes me stretch in ways I really would rather not have to, but in the long run, I have good relationships with them both that I plan to continue nurturing right through all the teenage stuff that I'm sure will show up.

    And if you ever figure out how to live two lives and then decide which one you want, let me know! I'd love to know the trick. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melita, I had started a post to you yesterday, and put it aside to give it some more thought. I see, though, that there are already some really good ideas in the comments already. I like Carrie's idea #4, and then #3, in that order. God may NOT give you peace if you are bucking His will, but if you are doing His will, He will reaffirm it for you and give you peace as you seek His opinion on the matter with an open, honest heart.

    I also enjoyed Kim's comments, especially the 3rd point about doing what's best for your family, without worrying about the cloud of onlookers. WE can't please everybody. This homeschooling idea is a personal decision between you, Shane, and God. As already mentioned your kids will have their ups and downs whether in public school or HS.

    The other thing I thought of is what is the motive of Shane's comments? I wonder if he (as most husbands) may feel that his wife is overworked and stressed out, and that he is not getting the attention he would like?

    Also, there is YOUR need. You are with your kids 24/7. This is a huge commitment. Be sure to somehow arrange time with other adults, where you can enjoy adult conversations, and have some time to yourself. Sometimes it may be possible to take turns with another homeschooler to send the kids to their house for the day. Just an idea...

    I know you are very well qualified and I admire the things I see in you and your children. I think they have such an advantage in so many ways. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I imagine us all sitting around having tea and discussing this as I learn so much... I have much to learn and think about on this subject. :D Great post, Melita, and I love everyone's comments!

    Carrie, so wise! Wish I could have spent more time around you. :D

    And Kim's point about onlookers made think a bit. I'm having a hard time writing it though. (Tried twice). :D Great thinking post! And I LOVE what Kimberly said about working through those possibly "clashy" times with kids. You and Lucas are MADE for each other. :D xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! Looks like I'm a little late to the party, but this is such important stuff.

    Melita, you know our story (thinking strongly of hsing and opting to "try" ps). I agree with KimP regarding how no choice is ever the best. I did my best in "hsing" Marina during pre-school so that we could get a feel for it. This, of course, was while she was still going to Ms. Beth a few days per week. When we opted to pull her out of Montessori, it was just me and her, one-on-one. I had MANY frustrations about our relationship because, frankly, she and I are too much alike. I hung out with other hsing families and tried to provide as many opportunities for socialization for her, but at the end of the day, I felt resentment from her. She knew she was missing out on something, she just didn't know what.

    After several long conversations, David and I opted to try public school, knowing that we could change if she didn't adjust. After the {painful} growing pains subsided, she adapted very well and is a different kid (in a great way)!

    Fortunately, her teachers know her strengths and weaknesses and challenge her accordingly. I highly doubt this will always be the case, and my realistic side tells me that we will run into conflicts at some point. David and I have both committed ourselves to the idea that public school is only PART of her education. This attitude has helped us to expand her horizons as much as we can.

    After putting her in ps, I can't say with certainty that we've made the best choice. What I can say with certainty is that giving her the opportunity to learn on her own--independently of us--has been vital to her development and to our relationship with her. That freedom has also afforded her MANY opportunities to learn to deal with all sorts of people. Those are opportunities that I/we would not be able to provide her if we had opted to home-school.

    This sort of reflection is VERY important--continually reassessing and making necessary changes. I have 2 friends from church who have both done a combination of hsing and psing their kids over the years. The friend who has older kids sent her kids to ps for electives and has taught them core subjects on her own. My other friend is doing the same thing for her 6th grader. Both moms seem to think that it has helped their kids grow, and both moms have highly recommended this method to me. I am definitely going to explore this option more closely as M nears the middle grades.

    We'll talk more about this soon! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep praying about it. God is VERY interested in your little ones and can see what the outcomes could be. I know it is hard... I wish I had all the answers...I'll keep looking back to see what you decide!

    ReplyDelete