Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Educating Children

Okay, I'm tired of the tone of my previous post!  However, it garnered some incredible advice, which is just what I wanted and needed.  Thank-you! Really, I am SO thankful.  I feel calmed. =)

I'm usually very confident about my views, and homeschooling is one area I don't usually feel in doubt about.  But I have become a little bit aware how easy it is to nurture our own opinions and ignore facts that oppose them, and I would like to avoid doing that.  Hence, the doubts and worries.

Over the last little while, I've continued to think and wrestle and also follow some of that good advice. I started with Shane's motives. It occurred to me he just might want an excuse to move. =)
1. he wanted me to consider my relationship with Lucas before it was a huge issue.
2. if we need to move, he wants to know right away so we can plan for that.
I also asked him if he felt like he wasn't getting enough attention from me since I was homeschooling and he asked me what kind of person I thought he was.  =)  We're pretty tight, Shane and I, and spend a lot of time together.  So I don't have to worry that's an issue.  Motives, check.  (perhaps I overreacted to his comments? wouldn't be the first time!)

I evaluated my stress level.  Homeschooling is stress, yes.  I probably wouldn't be homeschooling properly if it didn't stress me out a little.  However, homeschooling is my passion.  I love it.  I love planning, I love filling out my planner(two different things!), reading ahead in subjects, buying the manipulative's for each subject and I love working with the kids.  I love organizing my day, setting up the learning centers and getting the classical music all ready.  I love winding the kids up with a taste of what they'll learn in history or science that day, watching Aidan write, spell and read like a pro, watching Lucas get all wrapped up in the Time Traveling Trio books and watching Julia beam with pride at a job well done.  She's methodical and gets the job done right.  I love it when I announce a subject and they all scream with delight.  It's less fun when they make a complaining noise for phonics, but they are doing that less often.  I love filing their work in their portfolios and seeing the progress they have made.  Also, I'm not usually an unhappy or crabby person, another indicator of stress.

A try at pros and cons.  They are so different for us all!  I think it's revealing, but I'm not sure what it reveals yet for me in the long term.

Public School:
pros:
1. they will have fun
2. they will make friends and socialize
3. I will have more time to myself

cons:
1. curriculum won't be as comprehensive or thorough
2. it takes up a lot more of the day
3. not as flexible a schedule
4. will pick up words, attitudes, greater consciousness of fitting in
5. good teacher not guaranteed 

Homeschool:
pros:
1. outstanding quality materials
2. more time for non-core subjects
3. flexible schedule
4. control over long-term education
5. less time wasted

cons:
1. harder to meet/make friends
2. little time to myself
3. housework suffers
4. harder to get time apart

I can't decide where to put clashing with kids.  Is it better to be together and work things through?  Is it better to have most of the day apart? Jury is out.

Working on the spiritual side of things, too.  And I have never been considering public school for this school year, so we'll be sticking with hs til summer for sure.  And I am posting all of this on purpose so that you can comment.  So don't be shy and get your opinion out there! =)

8 comments:

  1. You worked it through (of course you did) and now you get to feel confident in your re-made choice to homeschool. :) Thanks for the great conversation today. I love you HEAPS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you were able to figure things out! I'm sure it is a big weight off your shoulders. =) Just give your kids lots of love and everything will work itself out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like your doing a pretty good job of working through it:) Wondering if the kids have any pros and cons? What do they think about it? Just curious:) I like the comment about clashing and working through it, that is VERY true and hadn't crossed my mind. As usual, your thorough soul searching never ceases to amaze and inspire:) k

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to see a second post! I wanted to comment on the first one, but had to think about what to say. Still the case. :)

    I've been tossing ideas around for school, and came up with some of the same thoughts. We're leaning towards public school for now, but that changes daily - sometimes more. Here's my plan for you: decide to do public school, move closer to us, decide we should both hs and tag team for social activities/free time, and go from there. ;)

    You'll make the best decision for your family, so good luck sorting things out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, gals! I was surprised at first that this post sounds like I've decided to homeschool. But then I reread it, and it does sound like that although I didn't say so specifically. As far as the kids: Lucas is adamant about staying home, Julia really wants to go, asked if she could go "next week". Aidan doesn't seem to care either way, yet. So I very well may send Julia next year, and I may send Lucas just to stretch him (a little). At least I now feel that I've thought things through more carefully than ever before and I can feel more confident about my decisions, even as they fluctuate. Love the idea of hs-ing with another mom, Jen! It would be so fun to do something like that with you!
    ...and on a teeny little side note, we are excited to welcome a new student for some pre-K activities and some extra social opportunities. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! When you read blogs through a reader, you don't see all of the thought-provoking comments people leave. I loved reading through all of the comments on the last two posts. You have been given some wonderful advice, and if you don't mind I'm going to put some of it in my pocket too. :) The kids' education is so much more than the academics, and that's where the difficulty comes for me. I don't want them to just get by; I want them to THRIVE. Anyway, thanks for bringing up this topic that is near and dear to the hearts of many. I love being able to peek into the soul searching of folks choosing carefully and prayerfully for their families.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Melita, Enjoyed your post and all the comments. Under cons about ps you mentioned that it takes up more time... and don't forget all the time spent in homework AFTER school... so a full day, and then sometimes hours after school. That is one thing I often resented when ours were in school. Then there is the pressure to participate in extracurricular activities, which takes even more time and reduces family time to a smidgen.

    Glad to read that Shane wasn't feeling neglected :) You just never know... LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm reading this after you even most recent post... Great open book! I love Jen's idea too! Except you both can move to Idaho. Such a GREAT place to raise a family. :D

    Can't wait to hear more about Christian!

    ReplyDelete