Thursday, January 19, 2012

Homeschool and Public School Update

Hello there, everyone! =)  It's been a happy day.  I am finally starting to feel thankful for all the upheaval about how to educate our children.  I am noticing so many things, monitoring myself in new ways and observing our family dynamic in a more critical and yet more removed manner.  So much good is coming from all of this!

I am glad to have evaluated my relationship with Lucas, lately.  All the kids, really, but for now just Lucas. He recently had a difficult experience that he told me about afterward.  I need to be a little cryptic, but I realized how lucky I was that he could tell me about being embarrassed, not knowing what to do, feeling pressure, just a lot of things that are hard.  So we talked and worked out a few things, I felt a confirmation that for now, we need to be together.  Today, like the last week, we shared jokes, looks and smiles and discipline was smooth. No sass or complaining from him, no yelling or frustration on my part.

Julia continues to give me clues (not only by saying she wants to go to school) that she could use some time out and away.  Maybe only one year, maybe the whole time.  But she needs to try something new, I think.  She wants to make girlfriends.  And after her first sleepover with her dearest gal pal, she would like to live with, go to school with and go to church with Marina.  =) While she won't be able to do two of those things, she can do one.  And she might need to learn a little more about how every choice has a price, like that she won't get to play with her friends all day in school, she will have homework and she'll be away from her family, too.  We've discussed all of this and I have explained what would be expected of her in a classroom setting and she's willing.  Mostly, I just am feeling like it is the right choice.
Fears: I have always worried that I might not be as connected to her as I would like, even prenatally, and does that mean she's "easiest" to part with?  Horrible thought!  I don't think it's a reason, but I still fear. Something I need sorted by God because it's scary to me.


I'm on the fence with Aidan, he'll do great anywhere I put him, I think.  He's slacked off of first grade, right at the middle of the year.  He's getting tired and complaining, so I'm just giving him a little work and encouraging him to do lots of playing.  He cheerfully loves doing his smaller amount and I tell him that it's important for kids to play(not on the computer).  Yesterday, after playing, he found his half-done math assignment, and finished his plus two's for fun.  Fun!!!  =)

We just had our first day of a new student in our class, and it was so wonderful!  It adds such a wonderful dimension, and like Shane says, keeps me more organized and prepared. ;)  I love the chance to do something I've always thought about and wanted to try.  We'll take some time to find the new stride, but that process is fun, too!

I'm feeling more positive, can you tell??  =)

4 comments:

  1. You sound like you are more sure of your direction, and doesn't that feel wonderful? :)

    On the out-and-away feeling you get from Julia - that has been a positive side to my working. The girls just needed some independence and Mom not breathing down their necks all the time. So give her space, Mom. By responding to her needs, you're not losing her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad things are on the up-and-up! Also can't wait to hear more about J in school. (Marina will be over-the-top with excitement!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kim, for the reassurance! Shane tries to remind me that individuals work in different ways and don't all need the same things. Still, sometimes it's hard to figure just what IS needed!
    And I'll keep you posted, Stephanie, about our plans for fall. =)
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your depth of sensitivity for your kids. I feel like I have a lot to learn on that vein.

    Your fears about Julia remind me about what you used to counsel me (and sometimes still do) about attachment parenting -- you've been there for her and her personality wants to branch out possibly because there's such security at home. I guess? :D Obviously you know your babies better than anyone, and I'm sure you'll gain confidence in your decision if it's the right one. :D

    ReplyDelete