Monday, March 14, 2011

Hubby Angst

Yes, I know most of you are never frustrated with your husbands.  Of course not!  But just imagine for a moment that you were.  How would you handle it?

I'm thinking mostly about husband angst as it relates to having children.  And not everyone finds marriage difficult just because children entered the picture.  But I did.  And I wonder if we would have had the same struggles if we hadn't had children and instead had sleep.  It would be nice to think that the struggles we've been through have brought us to a better place that we couldn't have achieved without them.

Just looking around at the people I know, there are so many different types of chemistry in a marriage.  What works for one, may not work for another.  When relating to friends, sometimes the problem they are telling me about with their husband is what I do to mine.  Oops!  Helpful perspective, there.  We value things differently sometimes based on our gender, sometimes based more on personality.  Some things are easy for one person to tolerate, but another person feels hurt by the same thing.  Navigating can be tricky, sort of like walking on a balance beam with a blindfold and sharpened spikes on the floor.  The advice being shouted, sometimes by older sisters, can be confusing or useless and certainly doesn't help you focus on the goal.  Sometimes a person is aware they need tools and would love to hop on down to the marriage department and pick up a few useful things.  Then when you get there, you don't know which tools you need or how to use them.

Some people seem to have no trouble at all having a loving, respectful marriage where both people love to give to each other, and get their needs met all at the same time.  They seem not to feel the effects of sleepless nights, children, extended family issues, money worries and job demands.  And that should be encouraging, but it isn't, much.

And on a spiritual vein, you understand that God, in His wisdom made a man and a woman for each other. Why it is so hard, then, to figure it all out?  Why is something so natural so unnatural to navigate?

Well, I'm here to tell you that I haven't gotten it all figured out.  So I'm hoping this post will stir up a bunch of ideas.  Especially since every marriage is so different, hearing what different people do/did is bound to turn up a good idea or two.

I'll start with my "few grains" just to get the ball rolling!

Attitude.

Strength of purpose.

Attitude is pretty easy to explain, understand and a little more difficult to carry out.  I get SO MUCH out of my Dear One when my requests or "complaining time" is done with the right attitude.  My attitude is my physical manifestation of my thoughts.  So if I'm thinking "Dweeb!  It's obvious that I can't change two dirty diapers at once!  Offer to help, slacker!" and at the same time say "Darling, could you help me by changing so-and-so's diaper?" then my husband will flip out.  By the same token, I could instead think "Wow, kids sure keep me hopping!" and posit the same request to my husband.  He will respond even cheerfully when my thoughts are not angry.  It's like he can see my thoughts, even the tiny ones that harbor resentment.
I bought this idea, and tried to use it, but it took me a long time to train my mind and feelings to think more positively.  But when I did, my husband responded to me just like I had wished back when I was a fish-wife.  By me practicing this act, I found I was less frustrated with my husband, and he was much happier with me!

Strength of purpose.  I mean several things by this, so I'll explain.  Sometimes it's hard to separate ourselves from how we feel, especially when we feel exhausted, on the verge of tears or like a mean, ugly bear.  Or when we feel justifiably angry.  Strength of purpose is what I'm calling that ability to take a deep breath and do THE RIGHT THING when we feel like we have no reserves left to draw from.  In the face of an act or deed or careless oversight by our partner that upsets us, we continue to be what we should.  If we need to address a problem, addressing it with a right attitude.  If we need a break, making that clear in a way that doesn't blame our husband.  Strength of purpose is, to me, the "against all odds" kind of attitude that is required for the better things in life.
Papa with his first, Lucas

Strength of purpose came to light for me when I stopped making my husband responsible for my happiness.  Sometimes, he'd come home and tell me about his day, leaned back against the counter with a huge, cold coke in his hand while I got supper ready.  I'd fume inside, seethe, really.  Then a couple crying/fighting children would come around and he'd ask, "What's wrong with them?".  The water comes to a boil, I rush to the cabinet to get the next ingredient and the baby holding my skirt falls and bangs their head.  Papa just stands there while they cry, I get the ingredient I need, put it in the water and snatch up the crying child.  Papa sips his coke.  I'm about ready to smack him, or walk out and drive to a hotel, thoughts of an uninterrupted bubble bath flit through my head.  I'd think "Does he expect me never to snap, no matter how hard it is?"  I'd get mad that I was so "reliable".  Familiar thoughts of throwing things, desperate deeds and solitude flash past on my mental image reel.  Of course, hubby doesn't know any of this.  Doesn't realize how I'm feeling or the chaos that is up around my ankles.  (hush, Calysta!)  He comes home from a job (or school) providing for his family only to get an angry, blaming wife.  Of course he'd come rushing home to me!
Papa with his girl, Julia

I accepted that it wasn't fair of me to put my feelings on him.  If he needed to know, I could tell him nicely.  But most importantly, I decided that I was going to stop waiting for help and "do it myself".  I began to prepare supper early, so I didn't have to cook at suppertime.  I began to give myself one household chore per day to be done during naps, and after I was done, the rest of the down time was mine to relax in.  I began to go to bed earlier, even though I loved my "alone time" when the kids went to bed.  I dealt with a lot of resentment inside myself.  I resented doing it myself.  But today, I'm so much happier because of it, and my marriage is healthier because of it, too.  My expectations changed, and it gives me hope for the years to come.
Papa with his last, Aidan

These days, my frustration is at myself.  I have a lot of things I need to do better, or begin doing in the first place.  But now that is on me instead of on my husband and it helps to take away that frustration I used to feel towards him.  I can see areas to improve in my life, but I don't (often) make my marriage suffer for it.  Sometimes I slip back into the old ways but it usually doesn't happen for long.  I've seen the light, experienced a better way.  Who would go back to sawdust after steak?

12 comments:

  1. Ahhhh, good post! I don't get the hush, Calysta, part. Is it because I'm THERE!? :D Actually, the picture of the kid hanging on and falling and screaming because you had to rush away is VERY familiar. :D Poor babies.

    Yes, I'm trying to purpose to be a NICER person in spite of the no sleep and constant demands situation. Thanks for being a sympathetic listener! You're one of THE people who really gets it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Completely missed that! Mike wouldn't have... :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was just reading the charactertherapist's blog and found a link to this book right before i came over here..so here's a book for you...not that you need it!!http://www.amazon.com/Why-Marriages-Succeed-Fail-Yours/dp/0684802414?ie=UTF8&tag=tctherapist-20&link_code=btl&camp=213689&creative=392969

    ReplyDelete
  4. and then i read your whole post ;-)...i still think you don't need the book..i think i would like to read it though. i have found your "grains" to be turning points in my relationship as well. and at times i've resented having to work on my resentment all by myself too ;-). however, at the end of the day...it really is me, myself, and i. how i feel about others and treat them ( including my spouse) is a complete mirror of how i treat myself and care. does that make sense? it takes work. no doubts about that!! but, it's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Martha, I read the excerpt on Amazon and it looks really interesting. I find myself drawn to his self-professed "research" on marriage. I don't know how closely it qualifies to real research but I'm intrigued to find out. He certainly sounds like a calm and reasonable person.
    Like you said about things coming down to ourself... It is amazing the power we have to affect situations and other people merely by changing our thoughts and point of view. Amazing! It's like the tip of the iceberg, I can't wait to find out more! =) But also like you said, it is hard, hard work. Almost too hard, until you realize how much benefit is in it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Melita. I'm so glad to read your thoughts and refresh my ever waning (sp?) resolve to try, try and try some more. My marital thoughts have been about faithfulness lately and what it means to be loyal. I realized, like a thunderbolt, that there is more than one way to be unfaithful and I realized that I have been weak that way. Not in the conventional sense. Heavens! No! But I realized that every time I sell him short, fail to acknowledge his efforts, his strengths, when I don't give him the benefit of the doubt, I am, for all intensive purposes, turning my back on him and our marriage. Its been a real awakening for me. And its really made me realize how much kindness and love I've reserved from him. Still hashing it all out, but so far, its really felt good to open up and completely commit to my marriage in a way I hadn't before. I guess before I always felt I was the star performer, the one who deserved the metal for best, most long suffering spouse and now, I realize I've been mistaken. And I like that I feel more loving, understanding, and humble and less angry and taken for granted. I think its registered with J as well and I've seen him take a little more time before jumping to frustration. Unfortunately, I still have to be reminded that this is the way I'm thinking these days (more often when school and work start closing in:) Yay for self reflection. Enough from me:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The solitary hotel room and bubble bath? Sounds REALLY inviting right now. It has definitely been one of those afternoon/evenings for me! Tomorrow, after I've had some sleep, I think I'll have a little more positive perspective for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My first thought is regarding "Some people seem to have no trouble at all having a loving, respectful marriage where both people love to give to each other, and get their needs met all at the same time." I wonder if you know that many people (like me!) would look at YOUR marriage and think that. I also know that from the outside, some might look at my marriage and think that, but it is NOT TRUE. Marriage is hard work. It requires compromise, and self-examination, and humility, and good communication, and lots of other difficult things that I can't think of right now. It's not "no problem" for anyone. I think we do a disservice to young people when we act like 'all you need is love', and that it should be easy.

    Your description of needing to "take responsibility for our own happiness" has been a key lesson for me as well. Why is it that we want to blame our husbands for not having the same brain as us? As if because they married us, they will be able to read our minds, and anticipate (and agree with!) our every want and need.

    Three other lessons I am working on that are difficult to do:
    1. Respect the person enough to BELIEVE that their opinion/perspective has validity.
    2. Respect the person enough to "work it out." Don't let things go if they need to be dealt with. Don't give up. In other words, don't go to bed angry. (Melita, I can't imagine you having this problem, but many people do).
    3. Learn how to apologize. We willing to entertain the idea that you are wrong (or at least different), and be willing to ADMIT it.

    Good stuff to think about. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melita, I love your post and the responses, especially from my other daughter-in-law :) Do you two know that I tell everybody who will listen what fantastic ladies you are :) I mean it, too. I can certainly relate to what you both have said. When you find the store with the marriage department, would you please get me a gift card, Melita, so I can go and pick up some tools? I'm still learning, but I certainly have to agree that when we stop focusing on all of hubby's faults, and turn the focus on ourselves, and work in our circle of influence as Stephen Covey says in "the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People", one of my favorite books, we will see that we can always stand to improve. When we do this we will be happier from the inside out, and it will have an affect on all those around us, including our hubbies. It helps to remember that they do love us and have been loyal to us. They don't try to be aggravating on purpose (not most of the time, anyways...except when they're trying to be aggravating, LOL). I certainly can't claim to have a perfect marriage, and we have our "days" when it seems that neither one of us can remember why we love the other, LOL, but it is getting better as time goes on. Thanks again, Melita, for sharing a very important topic with us.

    Also, I love the pictures, especially the first. Lucas's eyes are wide open as if he is afraid of being squished, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you have some great points, Melita. I'm reading the Love & Respect book you mentioned earlier and have really enjoyed its perspective. Especially the part about the "good-willed" spouse. I truly believe that's what I have and knowing that (even before reading the book and putting it in those words) helps me.

    I think, too, that I have to remember that just because I've lived with the man longer than with anyone else doesn't mean he can read my mind! Good-will can only take him so far! lol When I ask for help, he's more-often-than-not willing to help. He just hasn't noticed the need. Kind of like I can stare at a herd of elk and not even notice beyond their body shape; later, he'll tell me how many were bulls, and how many points were on each. That information just doesn't even register when I looked at the same thing. By the same token, he can come home and look at the same stuff that needs to be done that I've been staring at all day without seeing the list I've formed in my head. So, being verbal (nicely, of course, not in a snit) is very helpful for me.

    My last thought is that so much of what stresses me out (and thus puts me in the aforesaid snit) is my own expectations of being a modern-day superwoman (completely unrealistic, I realize). It's not what he expects or even wants. So, when my expectations make me a crab, I need to recognize that it's ME and lay off of him.

    One of these days, I'll leave a one-sentence comment. ;-p

    ReplyDelete
  11. First of all, I think it is awesome to get support and agreement from all of you about respecting our husbands. If our husbands were to read the title of this post, they might be suspicious that it was a hubby-bashing party. But no!
    Kelly, I loved what you said about there being many ways to be unfaithful to our husbands. Very good thought!
    Kim, glad you are liking Love and Respect! I liked what you said about hubbies being good with details different than the ones we notice. So true in our marriage! My husband's eyes light up as he shows me pictures of engines... he knows I don't really get it, but he still thinks I "get" more than I do! =) It's a perfect illustration of how our husbands aren't trying to ignore things important to us, and like you said about communication(the loving and respectful kind) can bridge the differences easily.
    June, we are so glad to have a mother-in-law as thoughtful as you! And I'm sure I can speak for Kelly also in that we appreciate the wonderful sons you have given us! They are such good, good men. And it's good to be reminded that we will always need to be working on our marriage.
    Carrie, yes, you were one of the main people on my mind about a good marriage! How did you know??? I was trying to think about which of your three points I liked best, i think 2 and 3. I really admire Shane, so 1 isn't as hard anymore. But although I value apologies, and have given them, it is still really hard. I usually have to give myself a little time before I'm willing to do it, and that's not right. One thing I thought of with #2 and carrying through to the end with issues is how Shane has not given in to bad habits of mine even though it isn't easy to stand up to my crabbiness. There's that aspect of being the only "discipline" for each other and it's important to stand for what is right. I don't want Shane to be a worse person for having shared his life with me. He certainly has helped me grow even when I didn't like it and I want to be a spouse he can count on to be honest and full of character. Obviously a lot of grace, respect and good attitude is needed for that!
    Thanks for your comments, and I can think of lots of others of you out there I'd love to hear helpful perspective from! =)
    xo

    ReplyDelete