Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Aidan's Special Brand of Cute

Firstly:
Aidan and Toe are doing much better these days! Thanks for the good wishes to Aidan, he loved it when I read him your comments. I asked him if he wanted to say anything back. He says:
Thank-you for saying "That's cool!"

Nextly, I would like to feature Aidan in this post because I have some quotes and pictures that need sharing. For our family photo shoot, he was a total ham! Each of our kids has a little something special and unique from the other kids. And they contrast each other perfectly, highlighting each other's qualities. I'll sprinkle them about...
Silly face...

Hair tuft in the back...

Lovin' this cheese!

Isn't it GREAT?

Funky moon-face smile to finish it off


Aidan does say some funny things and sometimes it's so random, I can't figure out what he's really thinking about. For instance, one night at dinner our family was discussing Aidan's penchant for picking the candy hearts off other people's cookies. As we talked about it, Shane cleverly said " Aidan steals little girls' hearts!" Aidan, not to be outdone in the wit department, says "I steal little girls AND little boys hearts!". Shane and I crack up, Lucas and Julia laugh along with us. To see how far this would go, I asked Aidan what he did with their hearts. He looks at me for half a second and I can see him thinking. Then he says " I chomp them with my teeth, eat them and swallow them with water!"

A great example of the contrast between my two boys.

Another day, after some parental correction, he told me something very interesting through his tears.
"Mom, I know this is a long sentence, but I need you. (Touches the corner of his eyes underneath.) The sentence is from here to here. From the corner of this eye to the corner of this eye."
?? I couldn't make heads or tails of it, so I focused on the "I need you" part and rocked him while he chatted. =)

Papa and Mama with the little man

"I'm just excited!"
This phrase has become something of a household word in our little world. It is strange, and would be extremely inappropriate except that Aidan means something different from what an adult would understand. Months ago, I noticed a typical "need to go potty" stance and asked Aidan if he needed to go. His reply? "I'm just excited, Mom." So every time the hand goes down in the "need to go" position, I can be almost certain that my queries will be met with "I don't have to go potty, I'm excited!" I began to insist that he try anyway, and wasn't all that comforted to discover that he'd go every time. On one occasion he became exasperated and insisted "Mo-om! This is what people do when they are excited!" and demonstrated the hand grab. We don't make a big deal about it other than to tell him to try anyway, but it's one of those things that can make social occasions a bit strained as people wonder WHAT our kid is talking about!
But we think he's pretty wonderful and creative. He's at that age where he likes to use big words and every once in a while he gets them right! It's sad to see the baby years slipping away, but happily ALL my children still want lap time with me!=)

3 comments:

  1. What a dear baby! I especially love the shot of him leaning back with his hands in his pockets. :D And has Aidan been hanging out with ball players or something? I mean if that's what people "DO"... it sounds like he's going to be a jock or something. ;D I love to hear these details -- the ones that I miss while I'm blathering on the way I do. He's turning into such a man so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh!! he's getting sooooo big! i remember him as just a little guy. Now he's a big boy! nice photo shoot. I wish i could say a bunch of insightful things similar to that which you write on my blog but words escape me these days...i just read a post elsewhere about lap time...gotta love it! enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Martha, you are really complimentary! She's stretching it, folks, my last comment on her blog post about fish nibbling toes for a manicure was that I'd like to give that a try!
    Aidan's the birthday boy, with a big number 4 this weekend. So it's time to plan and get ready for the fun day. I seem to remember him as just a little guy, too, and then I put him on my lap and half of him hangs off one side. !! It's a little upsetting, but at least I can kiss them at night when they are fast asleep, and I just might be able to do that for a few more years. ;)

    ReplyDelete